Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sashimi With Cucumber and Jicima Salad

I must start this recipe off with a disclaimer. I am NOT positive if this for sure meets the dietary guidelines for Medifast. I did my best with this one, but please use your discretion regarding this recipe. This recipe has NOT been run by Nutrition Support.

Medifast's guidelines provide COOKED weights for lean protiens. Because the yellow fin tuna sashimi is raw, I did an internet search to figure out about how much it cooks down. What I came up with as a consensus was that fish seems to cook down to about 70% its raw weight. With that assumption, I figured I could have ten ounces of raw tuna sashimi and still be in the acceptable range.

Oh, and in the picture, there is WAY more soy sauce in that little dish than the 1tsp soy sauce=1 condiment. Please know I did not use all of the soy sauce, but I also didn't measure it either. So I might have gone over in my condiments for this day.

I pay close attention to my scale the next morning after eating this meal, to see if it impacts my weight loss. So far (and I've had this meal about once a week since I started Medifast), I haven't seen any negative impact on my scale.

So, for me, this recipe works fine while on-plan. But again, please use your own discretion when using this meal in your Medifast plan.

Oh, and I LOVE this recipe. I'd eat it every day if I could. I found my sashimi grade tuna at my local AJ's with a sushi bar. Tuna is around 26.99/lb and Salmon is a bit less, I believe. I've also done this recipe with salmon, but only use 8 ounces for that. Be sure to keep it as cold as possible (but not frozen) until ready to serve. My AJ's provides courtesy ice and I always take advantage of that when I buy my sashimi.

And now I'm desperately craving this again... Off to AJ's! ;)

Tuna Sashimi with Cucumber, Palm Heart and Jicima Salad

Ingredients:

Sashimi:
10 oz sashimi grade Yellowfin Tuna (1 leanest serving, estimating that 10oz sashimi would cook down to 7 oz)

Salad:
1/2 cup hot house cucumber, cut into sticks (1 green)
1/2 cup jicima, cut into sticks (1 green)
1/2 cup palm hearts, sliced into rounds (1 green)
2 tsp olive oil (2 Healthy fats)
1 tsp soy sauce (1 condiment)
1 tsp red wine vinegar (1 condiment)

In a bowl, combine the veggies, olive oil, soy sauce and vinegar. I add a small dash of dried dill (less than 1/16th tsp). Refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Using a VERY sharp knife, slice the tuna against the grain into thin slices. The picture above is ten ounces of tuna sliced super thin. 

Serve with soy sauce for dipping, or to be extra sure you're sticking with Medifast's condiment guidelines, you could drizzle 1 tsp of soy sauce on the sashimi. Again, I'm a bit lax with the soy sauce measuring for this dish.

Medifast calcs: 1 leanest, 3 green, 2 healthy fats, 3 condiments (or more, depending on how you use the soy sauce). 





No comments:

Post a Comment