Sunday, March 31, 2013

Fish Burrito


I must confess something: I'm a bit of a burrito snob. I live in the Southwest, and you'd think that amazing burritos would be on every block. Sadly, they're not. I found the most amazing burrito place with to-die-for burritos. But it's in San Diego. And yes, I've considered driving six hours to San Diego for said burrito. (Lucha Libre - yeah, I'm talking about you. Thanks for addicting me to your amazing fish burritos.) 

This recipe is inspired by the amazing Fish burritos from Lucha Libre. It's a far cry from the real thing, which is loaded with rice, fish, cheese, guacamole, cilantro lime cream sauce, chipotle cream sauce, and cabbage, but it's the closest I can come to my true love without blowing my diet. And there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm going to blow this. (Check out my week 4 progress report.)

After successfully developing a cauliflower pizza crust recipe that is reminiscent of NY-style floppy pizza, I wondered if the recipe could be adapted into a tortilla/burrito. It's the same basic recipe, changed a little to accommodate the Mexican flavors, But it's essentially the same recipe. 

A tip: if you want more veggies IN the burrito, you could cut down the size of the tortilla. Next time I make this, I'm going to cut the tortilla recipe down by half so that I can add more cabbage and a bit of cheese inside the burrito as well. I just love the crunch fresh shredded cabbage gives a fish burrito! As you can see it overlaps quite a bit when you roll it, so I figure I have some room to work with.

Tip: place your "tortilla" on a sheet of aluminum foil before filling with toppings and trying to roll. This will result in an easier roll and nothing will leak out the bottom (think those big-burrito joints and how they roll the burritos in foil and you tear it away before gorging.) I did not try to fold the bottom over like a regular tortilla (while pliable, it's more likely to crack than to fold nicely), just relied on the foil to keep the contents inside the burrito until I got to them. It worked out fine. 

Talapia Burrito

 

Tortilla:
1 cup grated cauliflower (2 green)
1/4 cup egg beaters (1/8 lean)
3/8 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese (6g fat/oz) (3/8 lean category)
1/8 tsp Southwest Chipotle Mrs. Dash (1/2 condiment) (If using the tomato salsa topping, omit this seasoning to stay at 3 condiments)

Burrito filling:
3.5 oz Talapia, cooked as desired (1/2 lean)
1/2 cup shredded cabbage (1 green)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (1/2 condiment)

Cilantro Lime Ranch:
2 Tbsp Walden Farms Ranch (1 condiment)
2 tsp fresh lime juice (1/2 condiment)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 1/4 sheet cake pan with parchment paper. Wrap Talapia in foil and bake for 20 minutes or until flaky.

Grate 1 cup of cauliflower and place in a medium-sized bowl. Add 1/4 cup egg beaters, 1/2 cup  cheese. Add a 1/8 tsp of Southwest Chipotle Mrs. Dash. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix with a spoon and place  on the parchment. Spread as thin as possible in a rectangle or circle avoiding holes in the mixture. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. The crust will be browned and look a bit like a quiche looks on the top. These can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Just heat them in the microwave on a couple paper towels for 30 seconds.

In a small bowl, combine ranch dressing and lime juice, and stir until blended. Add a touch of salt if necessary.

Lay out a piece of foil larger than the tortilla. Chop the talapia small chunks, and place them in the center of the tortilla. Top with shredded cabbage and cilantro. Serve the ranch lime dressing on the side and drizzle it on as you eat. (If you add it to the burrito before rolling it up, the tortilla will get a bit soggy and you won't be able to taste the dressing.)

Recipe makes one very filling fish burrito.

L&G Calculations:
1 Lean
3 Green
Lime Ranch Drizzle: 2 Condiments

No comments:

Post a Comment